Creating copies creates a giant mess of your Google Drive. I understand the reason we copy an entire Google Classroom class but I warn you this is a BAD IDEA. This copies EVERYTHING in every assignment, including videos, directions documents, things you are collaborating on. How many copies of your syllabus do you need? ONLY ONE!! Copies are BAD! Every single copied video and screenshot lives in your Google Drive. What a mess!
Reuse Multiple Assignments at Once
With Google Apps Script you are able to code Google Classroom. One of the things I am able to do is pull up a list of assignments from a previous class, update the descriptions, and reuse more than one at a time.
Classroom Level UP
I initially designed this Add-on to create a level up game where students would level up as they turn in work. For now, let’s ignore that part of the Add-on. Start by going to alicekeeler.com/classroomlevelup and making a copy.
- Start by making a copy of alicekeeler.com/classroomlevelup
- Wait for the code to load. Use the Add-on menu and choose “GC Level Up” and show the sidebar. Authorize the code.
- Click on Setup from the sidebar.
- Checkbox your CURRENT class.
- Click Set Class
- Click on the Classes tab and unselect the current class (you’ve set it, it is saved) and select the class you want to REUSE from.
- Use the Add-on menu to go back to GC Level Up and choose “Create Assignments.”
- At the bottom of the list of assignment types you can add to Classroom is “List Assignments.”
- This will create a list of the assignments from the previous class.
- For assignments, edit the title and description in the spreadsheet if desired.
- Checkbox the assignmentS (you can do more than one at a time) that you want to reuse to your current class.
- In the sidebar (or go to the Add-on menu and choose Create Assignments) select “Reuse Assignments.”
- You will be prompted if you want to post them as a draft. Say yes if you do. No if you just want them to go live.
Note: Currently Google Apps Script does not allow me to code materials or grading categories.
This Add-on is a Google Sheets Add-on. It helps you manage your class from the spreadsheet. You can create assignments from the spreadsheet and you can reuse assignments from other classes from the spreadsheet. Note: only assignments that are generated from the spreadsheet can be auto scored using the automate option.