I have been having way too much fun playing with ChatGPT, an AI chatbot that will answer questions you ask it. I’ve been asking it topic questions but then throwing in “in Minecraft” or “in knitting.” Something that drives me crazy is the phrase “Personalized learning.” Often this is used in reference to a computer program that has nothing personal about it. It is self paced. It allow for redo’s. These are improvements to DOK 1 level worksheets, however they are not “personalized.” Personalization would involve a context that students can relate to. Students learn more when information is contextualized.
The ChatGPT allows you to ask it to answer things in a particular way. So I was wondering if students could personalize their learning by asking ChatGPT to explain a concept to them in a context they understand.
Contextualized Learning via ChatGPT
Research suggests that students tend to learn more when information is contextualized, or presented in a real-world context that is relevant and meaningful to them. This is because contextualized information is more engaging and memorable than abstract or disconnected information, and can help students to understand and apply new concepts and skills more effectively.
For example, if students are learning about a historical event, they are likely to learn more if the information is presented in the context of the time and place where the event occurred, and if it is related to other events and issues that were happening at the same time. This helps students to see the event as part of a larger story, and to understand its significance and relevance.
Similarly, if students are learning about a scientific concept, they are likely to learn more if the information is presented in the context of real-world applications and examples. For example, students might learn more about the properties of water if they are shown how water is used in everyday life, such as in cooking, cleaning, or gardening. This helps students to see the relevance and importance of the concept, and to understand how it relates to their own experiences.
Overall, students are likely to learn more when information is contextualized, because contextualized information is more engaging and meaningful, and helps students to connect new concepts and skills to their own experiences and interests.via ChatGPT
Students Choose the Context
When a student does not understand a concept consider asking them to put it into ChatGPT and throwing in their favorite topic. Bayes Theorem in probability can be a tricky concept to understand. This explanation from ChatGPT is not yet great, but it does help! Now, how can the student use this starting point to explain the concept, in this case, using gardening?
If chatbots can spit out generic answers to things. We have to shift to having students provide more personalized responses. Jon Corippo uses the example “Compare the main character to the school librarian.” This compare and contrast requires that they have some knowledge of the school librarian. However, it also requires that the student is able to think and make those specific comparisons.
The promise of technology was more personalized learning and I’ve been waiting for it! Mostly what I have seen from computer programs is treating students like robots. Students answer low level questions since that is what robots can grade. It made learning worse, not better. Self paced not personalized.
Who has time for personalized teaching? Embrace technology tools to make this feasible. ChatGPT is a chatbot. A chatbot can answer questions quickly. The Chatbot does not necessarily answer questions accurately. Analyzing text can be higher order thinking than writing text. Embrace these tools. Teaching has become harder. Teachers need help and support to improve student outcomes.
ChatGPT Answers What Is Personalized Learning
Personalized learning is an educational approach that focuses on tailoring instruction and support to the individual needs, interests, and abilities of each student. Personalized learning involves creating a learning environment and experiences that are tailored to each student’s unique learning profile, and that provide students with the flexibility and autonomy to learn at their own pace and in their own way.
Personalized learning can be implemented in a variety of ways, depending on the goals and needs of each student and each learning environment. Some common elements of personalized learning include:
- Individualized instruction: Personalized learning involves providing students with individualized instruction and support that is tailored to their specific learning needs, interests, and abilities. This might involve using different instructional strategies and materials for different students, or providing students with personalized feedback and guidance to help them learn more effectively.
- Flexible learning environments: Personalized learning also involves creating flexible learning environments that allow students to learn in different ways and at their own pace. This might involve using a variety of learning spaces, such as traditional classrooms, online learning platforms, and hands-on learning labs, and providing students with the tools and resources they need to learn in the way that is most effective for them.
- Student-centered learning: Personalized learning is student-centered, meaning that it focuses on the needs and interests of each student, rather than on a predetermined curriculum or set of standards. This means that students are actively involved in their own learning, and have a say in what they learn, how they learn, and how they are assessed.
- Technology-enhanced learning: Personalized learning often involves the use of technology to support and enhance student learning. This might involve using online learning platforms, adaptive learning software, or other digital tools to provide students with personalized feedback, support, and resources.
Personalized learning is an approach to education that focuses on providing students with tailored instruction and support that is based on their individual needs, interests, and abilities. Personalized learning is based on the idea that every student is unique, and that they learn in different ways and at different rates.
Overall, personalized learning is an approach to education that focuses on providing students with tailored instruction and support that is based on their individual needs, interests, and abilities. By using a range of strategies and techniques, personalized learning can help students to learn more effectively and to achieve their full potential.Free Research Preview: ChatGPT is optimized for dialogue. Our goal is to make AI
How Can Teachers Personalize Their Instruction via ChatGPT
There are several strategies that teachers can use to personalize their instruction and provide students with tailored support and resources that are based on their individual needs, interests, and abilities. Some possible approaches include:
- Differentiating instruction: One of the key strategies for personalizing instruction is to differentiate instruction, which means providing students with different content, pacing, and support based on their individual needs and learning styles. This might involve providing students with a choice of learning activities or paths, or offering different levels of support and challenge based on students’ needs.
- Providing personalized feedback and support: Another way to personalize instruction is to provide students with personalized feedback and support that is tailored to their individual needs and progress. This might involve providing individualized feedback on student work, offering one-on-one or small-group tutoring or support, or using online or digital tools to provide students with personalized feedback and resources.
- Incorporating student interests and preferences: Personalized instruction can also involve incorporating students’ interests and preferences into the learning process. This might involve providing students with opportunities to explore their interests, to engage in problem-based or project-based learning, or to collaborate with their peers on projects and activities that are meaningful and engaging to them.
Overall, there are many strategies that teachers can use to personalize their instruction and provide students with tailored support and resources that are based on their individual needs, interests, and abilities. By using a range of approaches and techniques, teachers can help students to learn more effectively and to achieve their full potential.Via – ChatGPT
You must log in to post a comment.