How do you call on students in class? I use a spreadsheet and the =rand() formula.
- Create spreadsheet with student names
- In the column next to their name write the formula =rand()
- Sort the sheet by the random number and a random student will float to the top.
Since each time you sort the sheet it reassigns a NEW random number you can continue to sort by the random number column to continuously call on students randomly.
- Create a 3rd column (C) “without replacement”
- Create a 4th column (D) “Called on”
- Each time you call on a student mark them off with an x in the “Called on” column.
- In the “without replacement” column type this formula
Which states that if there is an x in the “called on” column put nothing in the “without replacement” column, otherwise insert the random number.
- Sort the sheet by the “without replacement” column.
- Any student who has been marked with an x in the “called on” column will sink to the bottom so they will not be called on again.
If you would like a template of this click here.