All We Want for Christmas – A Teachers’ Top Ten List
Compiled by Erin Whalen
Contemplating a Christmas gift for your child’s teacher? You don’t need a crystal ball. Here is a top ten list, as suggested by teachers, of holiday wish list items. Happy shopping!
10. Personalized Items – A notepad that says “From the desk of…”, a nice journal with a monogram, a personalized lunch tote, etc.
9. Snacks – Whether for the teacher who didn’t have time for lunch or for a hungry student, it’s always good to have a stash of snacks available in the classroom (preferably healthier ones than pictured below!).
8. Mani/Pedi/Spa Gift Cards – Who doesn’t love to relax at the spa? And a teacher on Christmas break definitely deserves some R&R!
7. Books for the Classroom – This is a no-brainer. Every classroom needs books! Scholastic gift cards work well here.
6. Classroom Supplies – Pencils, dry erase markers, tissues, paper towels, crayons… These are always useful and appreciated!
5. Wine and Chocolate – No explanation necessary.
4. Restaurant Gift Cards – Teachers work hard. And we all know they don’t get paid nearly what they are worth. Treat your child’s teacher to a dinner out. They will love you for it.
3. Amazon or Target Gift Cards – These may get spent on items for the teacher but they are likely to be spent on items for the classroom. Either way, teachers definitely feel appreciated when they receive gift cards to awesome retailers such as Amazon and Target.
2. Starbucks Gift Cards – A caffeinated teacher is a happy teacher, right?! Spread holiday cheer with gift cards to Starbucks or your local coffee shop. Happy teachers = happy kids!
And number one… drum roll please…
1. Notes from the Students – This is not a joke. Teachers cherish hand-written notes of appreciation from their students. All the gift cards I received as a teacher are appreciated but also long gone. The notes I have from students are gifts I still have and gifts that always bring a smile to my face. They are well worth the time and effort and appreciation is the best gift you can give!
Any of the above items will let your child’s teacher know that you notice the hard work and effort they put into teaching and caring for your child each day. Thank you for supporting teachers at the holidays and year-round!