Click Here to link to the Google Drawing of the poster.
In teaching English Barton Keeler started using Schoology for discussions after Catlin Tucker mentioned this is what she uses. In order to have successful discussions Barton noticed that he needed to provide the students with requirements. Students tend to want to answer “good job” or other comments that do not further the conversation. As with any skill, students need to be guided on how to have an effective online discussion.
When posting students need to
- Address every part of the question.
- Answer in complete sentences.
- Use correct spelling and grammar.
- Support their statement with specific examples.
- Meet the minimum word count.
When responding students need to
- Explain why they agree or disagree.
- Agree or disagree respectfully.
- Add information to the conversation.